heyes

heyes

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year

What a year 2011 was!  It started rather melancholy for me, being still in the fresh renewal of grief over Peter's death, having only rekindled my dormant but ever present love for him in December 2009.   In the fall of 2010, after reading many "Alias Smith and Jones"  fanfictions, a desire welled up inside of me.  It was the desire for more.  More of the great Hannibal Heyes and his fast-drawing partner Kid Curry.  I wanted more episodes, heck, I wanted a darn movie.  And being a huge investor in the cheesy, Fabio-on-the-cover, heroine-clinging-to-the-shirtless-hero,  romance novel industry,  I decided it was  high time that Hannibal Heyes was on the cover of one of  those novels (not literally, but figuratively) with a heroine of his own clinging to him.  And thus "Evangeline" was born.  I didn't make any plans for it.  I didn't write an outline.  I just opened up a page on Word Pad on my pc and started typing.  And that's what I still do.  It comes from a place inside of me that I didn't know existed.  And I never expected to share it with anyone else.  But in the spring of 2011, my three sons and one of my son's girlfriend, who is also a fanfiction author,  encouraged me to share it.    I was too scared to post it to any fanfiction site.  I was afraid of being critiqued by other ASJ fanfiction writers who are so good at what they do.  And I also wanted to keep it for myself.  It was mine.  My connection to Peter.   When a friend and fellow romance novel enthusiast read the first few chapters and gushed about how good it was,  I finally decided to share it.  But I was still too intimidated to post to a fanfiction site, so I decided to post to a blog.  That way I had complete control over what I put there.  And now I am so glad I did it.

Through writing this story and sharing it with fans of Peter's and "Alias Smith and Jones"  I have found a connection with Peter's spirit that I never dreamed possible.  I've found friendships with people all over  the country and been inspired by their words of praise and encouragement.   I have people reading and following this blog from all over the world.  I've had hits from every continent except Antarctica.  I didn't expect to get 400 hits, let alone over 4,000 in less than a year.
Writing this tale has been like a balm to my soul. A soul that needed healing.  Healing from wounds not only left by Peter's absence, but by other events in my life as well.  And all of you who have stuck with me on this journey of discovery have been a huge part of the healing process and I thank you.

And now the bittersweet end of the year is here.  Sweet because of the renewed love and joy I have found in Peter. Sweet because of the  new joy I have found in writing these characters and the joy of watching the love you have all developed for them.  Bitter as we mark the 40th anniversary of Peter's passing.   Due to the holidays and the anniversary of that sad day,  I have not concentrated on writing much of late.  But as I put 2011 behind me,  I resolve to put my best efforts into finishing this -  I am going to start calling it a novelette - not for you, but for myself.  I write for myself.  Then I share it with you.  And I'm sure Peter will be over my shoulder, instructing me, guiding me, inspiring me.

Happy New Year to you all.    I pray that 2012 will bring you all an abundance of joy, health, happiness, and prosperity.   May peace and harmony fill your homes and your hearts.

Peace, love and dimpled smiles,
Karen :')


A very special  thanks goes to you, Clarissa, for always lifting my spirits and my ego with your praise.  You are a blessing and  I cherish your friendship.

But the biggest thanks of all.....Thank you, Peter.


1 comment:

  1. Here's to looking forward to another great year, hopefully heavy on the sweet, good memories and dimpled smiles :')
    And thank YOU for your friendship and shared passion for Peter!
    Blessings and an abundance of joy and love this new year to everyone,
    Clarissa

    ReplyDelete