heyes

heyes

Monday, May 16, 2011

The Hat

Okay, so I just got my copy of "Remembering Pete Duel"  which I purchased from the Pete Duel Memorial Site (http://www.peteduel.info/).  Bittersweet is the only word that comes to my mind right now after reading it.  But one of the main things that struck me, and kinda made me mad,  Ben Murphy said he took Pete's Hannibal Heyes hat after Pete's death......AND HE DOESN'T KNOW WHAT HE DID WITH IT!!!!!!  That just broke my heart.  I guess I understand that that was a very small part of Ben's life and he regarded Pete as a colleague and not a friend, but geez.  I read in Cheri Thompson's "Ablaze for Heyes" blog that she would mortgage her home to have his hat, his gloves or his watch.  Amen, sister.  That hat was like a third member of the starring cast.  It had its own personality.  What a precious and invaluable memento  that hat would be to Pete's family or some deserving fan, like Laura who keeps the memorial site going.  And so I plead with you Mr. Murphy,
try to remember what you did with it, and give it the respect it deserves.  Give Pete's fans the respect they deserve by preserving this most precious of keepsakes. That's all for my soapbox tonight. I'll try to post chapter 3 tomorrow for anybody who might be reading.  As always, love you, Pete.




Due to the popularity of this particular post, I've included a picture of the beloved hat being worn by our beloved Hannibal Heyes, played extraordinarily by our beloved Pete Duel.



Peace and love to everybody, and thanks for stopping by.
Karen :')


Dear Fellow Pete fan,
I'm updating this post on December 31, 2011, the 40th anniversary of Peter's death.  After visiting the Pete Duel Memorial Site today, I've learned that the original Hannibal Heyes hat, THE HAT, the one with the tatters and holes that Peter wore on the show, the one that we all hold so dear, is in the safe keeping of his brother, Geoff.   Please go to the Pete Duel Memorial Site at http://www.peteduel.info/?page_id=1113 to read the story and to leave a word of thanks to Geoffrey Deuel and his wife for sharing this priceless piece of our hero with Laura and the rest of us.

Peace and love,
Karen :')

1 comment:

  1. I Like the music and pictures you chose. Especially the one of the couple embracing. Could you tell me where you found it. I would like to add it to my collection of pictures of Hannibal Heyes.

    ReplyDelete